Monday 7 November 2011

In Galicia Samaín, In America Halloween!

October 24th to 31st

After having such a busy weekend, finding an apartment and exploring nearby villages, jet lag hit like a Mack Truck. I took a couple of days to rest. It was a good decision too, because for the first time I saw what a true Atlantic storm looked like and I sure didn’t want to be outside in the middle of it.

I moved into my new house on Tuesday. Marga, my roommate, welcomed me with a traditional Spanish dish: tortilla española. This is not what we normally think of as a tortilla in Canada. It is made with fried onions and thinly slice potatoes and later mixed with eggs to make a thick egg-potato pie. It is delicious and it was a wonderful welcome. Marga is great. She is very Spanish, so I will be able to practice my language skills with her. This is important because, as I have experienced, everybody and their brother wants to practice English with me. I will have to work hard to get the practice I need. It was nice to be able to fully unpack and settle in. It’s important to feel like I have a home here. It is a nice area to live in; conveniently one of the teachers at the school is able to bring me to work. I just have to walk a short five minutes to her house!

Friday at school was very exciting because we were celebrating Halloween. In Galician culture, they have a similar celebration called Samaín. Many of the kids that come to our school have gardens or hobby farms nearby. As a result, we received many pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns from their families. The kids maintain the thought that Halloween should be super scary. I, however, chose to do Halloween Canada-style and dress up as a fairy. The drama teacher brought me a flowy pink skirt and a set of wings and painted my face. My costume was a big hit among the children, although they all complained that it wasn’t scary enough. Rafa had more planned for this day then I realized. He did a big presentation with a Magic Spell, which we both said in English and then Rafa did in Galician as well. Then, naturally, had me sing in front of the whole school. (If you want to see the magic spell and applebob click on the Halloween Presentation link at the bottom)

Here is the “Spell”:

In Galicia, Samaín
In America, Halloween
 
Black, yellow, orange and green
These are colours in Samaín

Black, yellow, orange and green
They are colours in Halloween.

Witches, ghosts, bats and cats
Are you ready to be glad?





The kids were adorable but at the same time kind of disturbing in their various costumes. I saw plenty of three, four and five-year-olds dressed as vampires, witches and zombies. We also did an apple bob, which they call Bob-Apple. Only a few kids participated while the whole school watched and cheered. It was all very fun and festive. I tried some chulas, which are typical to Galicia. They are essentially little pumpkin pancakes- but without maple syrup! After a fun-filled day, I returned home with glitter everywhere and prepared for another night of activities.







Right: A couple of four-year-old witches and a skeleton!





Below: Some of my third-grade students putting on a show for us.


Lita invited me over for empanadas so that I could get to know the girls that live with her. I had already met Maureen (from California) but it was great to also meet the other two ladies: Sara and Sara, who are Spanish. We ate some delicious empanadillas (small pastries filled with meat) and shared some wine. It is fun to be surrounded but such passionate and intelligent women. The Saras speak very quickly so it will be great practice talking with them. I had to scoot out early to meet Rafa and some of his friends at the movies to go see TinTin- my very first 3D movie! I generally don’t like dubbed movies, but I couldn’t really see their mouths moving that much so I enjoyed it. Spain has one of the most prosperous dubbing industries. The only issue with this is that they are not trained to hearing English. Since American movies are so popular, they would have had an immense exposure and increased comprehension. Instead, it is incredibly difficult for them to understand English-especially my relaxed Canadian accent.


Saturday I went to the Cíes Islands. They are beautiful islands off of the coast of Vigo that are protected as national parks. It happened to be a lovely day, which can sometimes be a rare and wonderful thing between rainstorms. Maureen and I loved being there; we couldn’t comprehend the beauty of it. The sun was so bright and the water was clear blue and glistening. We wandered around and up to the lighthouse and just took in the true beauty and stunning vistas.

That night I returned to my home-away-from-home to hang out with Diane. Porriño is not a very big town but it has its own charm to it. In the morning, we went to Portugal for breakfast…AMAZING! It is literally fifteen minutes away across the Miño River. In a town called Valenca, we had some delicious pastries and coffee. Then, we took a tour of the old fort. The Portuguese really held on to their sliver of the Iberic peninsula and it had much to do with this fort in Valenca. The river helped both sides see when the other one was going to attack. Across the river you can see the beautiful Spanish town of Tui-which I laugh at every time I see it because you literally pronounce it Toooeeee. 


Left: The fort of Valenca...we just barely fit through!














After breakfast, we headed up to Santiago, the capital of Galicia. Santiago de Compostela is the destination of El Camino, the famous catholic pilgrimage that traditionally starts in France, but has many routes. The cathedral there is truly spectacular. I saw many pilgrims arriving tired, dirty and happy to the cathedral. We took a long walk around the city’s various parks and paths. It was absolutely wonderful, topped off by have a café-con-leche in a quaint garden terrace.








After so much gallivanting, it was time for a rest…and time to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment